Wednesday, June 2, 2010

my life in pixels.

"Say cheese!" You casually run your fingers through your hair, immediately getting rid of any unwanted fly-a-ways or tangles. The corners of your lips turn upright into a broad smile. You overact how happy you actually are with a smirk that feels as if it stretches past your ears. Amongst many, you show off your gorgeous pearly whites in an awkward pause. Last moment you look into the lens and try to look happy, however your grin begins to decline as the moments pass. There is an unearthly silence until you see the snap, hear the click, and finally, flash goes the camera. It has just captured an indefinite moment of your life.

And then the moment is over. Everyone shuffles away from his or her uncomfortable stances, letting out faint expressions of relief, and time makes it mark while life continues on. Despite the fact that the instant has passed, on the tiny screen of the camera is that very same instant displayed. It seized the expressions, and feeling of that particular time in what is now classified as history. Phenomenal!

Photos can capture more than just a moment; they are also more than just a printed pattern of ink pressed onto a glossy piece of paper. Me myself, I have over 20, 000 photos in my iphoto library of faces plastered against lenses, various group shots, nature beauts, and never dull moments with family. I'm sure I also have many more loose ones floating around on my desktop as well. They all tell stories, jokes, and declare emotion. As soon as I glimpse at a certain picture, I can reminisce that specific place, that moment. It still exists even though it has disappeared as a faded event in the past. Forgotten, yet remembered through the illumination of the colourful pixels that assemble the photograph.

Ever hear the saying,

a picture's worth more than a 1000 words?

I reckon you all have, however if one were to flip through my entire iphoto library, it would basically describe my life in pictures, since no words are able to.

Photography is an unusual thing. There is so much you can do with a simple camera. So much can evolve from the point when you firmly press down on the familiar shutter button. Some, follow the camera manual like a bible, and experiment with different settings to get that flawless shot and ideal balanced image. Around their neck, their camera stays with them as a fifth sense, almost like they are inseparable until death. For others, it's just a common tool for memories, and countless recollections of amusement with friends. For me, it records my life in pixels. Either way, a picture is nothing without a story. A picture is the image of the words that cannot describe the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment