Monday, February 1, 2010

Tick. Tock.


Time. As I write seconds that are turning into minutes are passing. As you read this, the clock is slowly ticking, but passing rapidly. Everything we do consumes time. The minutes add up, and before we know it our once naïve childhoods that felt like yesterday have disappeared, while we are soon starting our journey off into intimidating high school. I look back and wonder where the years have gone.

Distinct memories flood my mind from when I was just a mere toddler. From my first day of school to my 6th circus themed birthday party. Chaotic, yet vividly clear in my mind. I remember having contests to see who could collect the most chestnuts from the tree in the autumn, being lugged around in a wagon, and being resistant to only watch unicorn themed movies. Yes, odd recollections, however I miss those days. I miss people not judging you by what you wear or look like, but rather the toy you had. The feeling you felt when you just learned how to ride a two wheeler by yourself, and being tucked in early at night and waking up at the earliest hours of the morning as a fiery ball brimmed of energy.

School was simple and was composed of colouring rainbow-filled pictures and straightforward equations like 7+8=?. Dress up was always part of my day, needless to say also was watching Art Attack, and creating imaginative formations on Lite Brite. The littlest things made me satisfied, like swinging on the schoolyard swing, or making enchanted castles out of Popsicle sticks. Everything was easygoing and untroubled, as if I had no care in the world or what it would soon become. All these things contribute to the fact that I would absolutely desire to travel back to my childhood for a day. Sure I would doubtingly love to dismiss many of the rueful regrets I hold, but that’s life. We all experience mistakes, but we look past them and gain mental notes to keep track of for future reference.

It won’t be long until all these memories disappear, until the past fades away in my growing mind, leaving only regrets behind. The world is constantly turning and spinning, as days turn into years, and years into decades. As it’s becoming more and more complex I sit and wonder where the simpler days have gone. Time has taken them away.

1 comment: