Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The inside on the outside

There is no doubt we are all different. Then why are we all forced to look the same? All of our unique personalities are unwillingly blended in together into a sea of navy pullovers, tucked in blouses, and gray trousers. You have to look by certain standards, measurements and rules that block our creative expressions and disrupt who we are. These little inventions are a thing called uniforms. Uniforms have both a negative, and positive argument. I'm not quite sure which side I'm ready to fight for, see me as Switzerland in the world of clothes. Neutral.

You’ve heard of freedom of speech, what about freedom of clothes? I get the point that you shouldn't be wearing inappropriate clothing to school, but we should be able to convey our own character. Our uniforms are so generic, simple and basically boring. They can be uncomfortable, unattractive, and when we try to modify them in the smallest way, we are sent to the bench to get a green slip. No loopholes. I myself love wearing my own clothes, and despise pulling up those itchy knee socks that stop all circulation in my calf. I feel freer in my normal clothes, kind of like I’m wearing my inside on the outside. Could we somehow pull a Black Eyed Peas, and meet halfway?

As amazing as it would be to wear whatever in the day, a uniform is easy to slip on in the morning, causing no stress if the sweater you were hoping to wear is encrusted with an annoying purple stain from the grape juice you had at dinner. With our uniform environment, not only do we look official, like mini professors, but we also don't need to care about having the latest designer clothing, or trendiest shoes. You know that no one can ridicule or tease your style choices because they will only be taunting themselves, as they are wearing the same thing.

On the surface we may look identical, but uniforms can bring out the brightest colours of every individual. They can classify us from what's on the inside, and make our inside personality shine, even though our outside might not reveal it. Most people judge based on looks, giving the illusion that our world is shallower than a kiddie pool. People won’t judge you at first glance, but get to know you based on you, not the amount of superficial things you own. As unappetizing as the thought to wear those near-choking ties, and puffy supposed-to-be-tucked-in shirts, they give us 'it'. It being it. It being whatever you want 'it' to be. Besides we do get a few days that require spirit and dressing up, or wearing our own clothes… :)

2 comments:

  1. GREAT post Olivia! I really like how you showed both sides of the argument. I think you are right, it would be nice to wear our own nice, comfortable clothes, but it is easier to just put on our uniform. It is very true though that with uniforms we can't be judged by how we look, people have to find out who we really are inside. This is a really amazing post Olivia, good job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved all your little jokes throughout the post, I felt really happy after reading it. I also loved how you told that uniforms can bring our inside out! great post!!!

    ReplyDelete